The pride of our fleet
- 1932 American LaFrance Metropolitan
- Gasoline powered V12 “J” series engine
- 3 speed manual transmission
- 1000gpm American LaFrance pump
Originally purchased from American LaFrance,
delivered, March of 1932, it was sold in 1964 to a fire company in
Florida. Ex-Captain Edward Powers drove it down to Florida and
rumor has it he received a speeding ticket on the way.
In 1978 ex-Chief Edward Jackson sought out Ed
Powers’ widow in Florida to try and find it, in order to buy back for
the 75th anniversary of the Vigilant Fire Company. After a
search it was discovered that a private collector had purchased it.
After some dealing, the fire engine was purchased and driven back
home by Edward Currivan and Peter Jorgenson in 1980.
All of the equipment was taken off before it
was sold in 1964. Upon its return it was found all the original
mounting holes and brackets still lined up with the equipment that
had been in storage. When it returned to Great Neck, it was repainted and
appeared in the Nassau County Parade in Bayville during summer of
1981. The lights didn’t work at the time, so all of the Vigilant
apparatus that appeared in the parade were ordered to turn off their
lights so no one would notice.
836 has since been completely restored and
cared for by the members and is a great sense of pride in the
Vigilant Fire Company. It is now used for parades, antique shows and
Over the years 836, has won numerous awards
including the “Peterson award” from the prestigious “Automobile Club
of America” and “Best in show” several times at the “Firehouse
Magazine” show in Baltimore, MD.